| From the creation of Orange County in 1734 until the adoption of the Constitution of 1870, the county
was governed by the County Court consisting of “Gentlemen Justices” appointed by the Governor until
1852 and elected thereafter.
In 1870 the legislative powers of the County Court were transferred to a Board of Supervisors elected
from four magisterial districts (Madison, Taylor, Barbour & Gordon). A fifth district (Spotswood) was created
in 1963. Names of election districts were changed to numbers in 1992.
The first Board of Supervisors took office on September 5, 1870 and consisted of the following: B.
Johnson Barbour – Barbour District; Philip B. Jones – Madison District (Chairman); Richard P. Graves –
Taylor District; William W. Buckner – Gordon District.
Under the 1870 Constitution, Supervisors were elected annually. The 1902 Constitution set the terms at
four years as they have remained from 1903 to the present.
The following have served as members of the Orange County Board of Supervisors since 1870. An asterisk indicates
service as chairman. The year indicates the date when the person took office.
|Supervisors of Orange County Virginia 1734 – 2017
|COPYRIGHT 2000-2017 R. Mark Johnson